Red Kite Rally 2008

Going racing ? or trying your hand at enduro's, then let us all know how you got on or whats involved.
Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Red Kite Rally 2008

Post by Gwyn » 24 Mar 2008, 07:59

andypugh wrote:
abigsupermoto wrote:He did....as this was posted on vdsr before http://www.vdsr.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=408.0
Thats something of a relief, then. He wasn't signed in when I was trying to find someone to take my fuel for me.

I finished. Which was all I was planning on doing.

(Confession)

I am probably going to sell the CRM. I can't imagine using it while I have the GasGas, it just goes to the events and sits in the van. Frankly I am so rubbish that I judge an enduro bike by how easily I can pick it up, and the CasGas is lighter.

In fact, I have only really been holding on to it as a passport to this forum.
Hi Andy

I did make it mate, and what a fekin rally that was. More enduro than rally, the lap just got worst as the day went on with WTRA having to cut sections out as thay were getting impassable on the bigger bikes. Glad you finished Andy and got tour medal 8) Ade had my phone tucked away and did not here it ring all morning :roll: . I did notice at the end of the event a few missed calls and thought fek me, i hope Andy's got someone to take his fuel up :roll: I signed on at the start line when i was due to start as i forgot to sign the form in the signing on hut :roll: Not your average rally, but a great day's riding :D :D
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

knackeredMk1
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Modified Mk1

Post by knackeredMk1 » 24 Mar 2008, 09:44

Glad you guys finished 8)

Andy you are welcome no matter what bike you ride :)

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 24 Mar 2008, 10:22

Oh, must say a big huge thanks to Davey and Liz for the use of their passion wagon for getting all the fuel and gear up to the pit area, and trusting Ade to drive it :D And also well done to both for completing 8) :D
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

Davey Munroe
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Davey Munroe » 24 Mar 2008, 14:04

I am now in a world of pain :o I haven't worked that hard on a bike ever!!!!!! But what an event, for me it was more of a war just trying to get round. Thank god they took two of the hill sections out or I would still be on the course now. We just need more crms to attend next year. Think about it guys :D
***95Mk3 CRM***
***XT600 Tenere***
***XL600v Transalp***
***Aprilia 280 Climber***

andypugh
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by andypugh » 24 Mar 2008, 15:28

Gwyn wrote: WTRA having to cut sections out as thay were getting impassable on the bigger bikes.
Now you mention it, I do only recall doing the steep climb with a corner in it twice.

I actually think I had good tyres for that bit, as I could stop and re-start on that without much trouble, whereas others were not even making any progress pushing the bike while applying power.

The bit I didn't like was the muddy, grassy, slightly rooty, descent diagonally down a hillside. I couldn't work out what to do there at all, the bike went sideways regardless. Chaps on 4-strokes just seemed to be able to tok-tok-tok down. But not all the time in their case, either.

Walt!!
New kid on the block
New kid on the block
Reactions:
Bike Owned: Mk3

Post by Walt!! » 24 Mar 2008, 16:13

Wow, that was a tuff one, aching all over!
Wouldn't have liked to do it on one of the big bikes.........or on the CG125 with a road tyre on the front!! what was he thinking?

I found the long uphill rutted section, 90 degree right over a bump then more ruts, really tricky 3rd time around, but overall a great day out.

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 24 Mar 2008, 16:49

andypugh wrote:
Gwyn wrote: WTRA having to cut sections out as thay were getting impassable on the bigger bikes.
The bit I didn't like was the muddy, grassy, slightly rooty, descent diagonally down a hillside. I couldn't work out what to do there at all, the bike went sideways regardless. Chaps on 4-strokes just seemed to be able to tok-tok-tok down. But not all the time in their case, either.
Glad you enjoyed it Davey :lol: I must be getting fitter, i dont ache :D

Same here Andy, that downhill was a right bastid :evil: .

And Walt, the guy on the cg125 finished :o 8) :lol:
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

abigsupermoto
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike Owned: MK3 CRM

Post by abigsupermoto » 24 Mar 2008, 18:05

Davey Munroe wrote: We just need more crms to attend next year. Think about it guys :D
If I still have the CRM I will try to be there...... just couldn't get there this year and had no one to take fuel and tools to the pits either :roll:

Glad you all had a great time and are all still in one piece.....well done :wink:

slider
Forum Bore !
Forum Bore !
Reactions:

Post by slider » 25 Mar 2008, 04:58

congrats to all,looks like a slogger,shame i couldn't be there :evil:

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 25 Mar 2008, 05:48

slider wrote:congrats to all,looks like a slogger,shame i couldn't be there :evil:
Slider, you would have loved it mate. Next year perhaps 8) :D Or there's always the Cambrian 2 day in October :D
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

Davey Munroe
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by Davey Munroe » 25 Mar 2008, 08:58

Hi Andy, I worked out what to do on that rooty slippery diagonal descent - in 2nd no brakes, running against the engine. Shouting "danger, danger" and try to steer, ocasionally throwing yourself off in a comedy manner :o Well it worked for me anyway :D :D :D
***95Mk3 CRM***
***XT600 Tenere***
***XL600v Transalp***
***Aprilia 280 Climber***

andypugh
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by andypugh » 25 Mar 2008, 12:07

Davey Munroe wrote:Hi Andy, I worked out what to do on that rooty slippery diagonal descent - in 2nd no brakes, running against the engine. Shouting "danger, danger" and try to steer, ocasionally throwing yourself off in a comedy manner :o Well it worked for me anyway :D :D :D
Aha! Maybe I should have tried thatm though I was hoping for a technique which omitted the "Throwing yourself off in a comedy manner" part. Call me old-fashioned...

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 25 Mar 2008, 13:07

There's some pics on the WTRA site, at the end of SS1. Only one of Andy so far 8)

http://www.ukoffroad.info/
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

Gwyn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Gwyn » 25 Mar 2008, 15:51

Provisional results are out................

http://www.ukoffroad.info/redkite2008/proresults.htm

:o To say i'm happy is an understatement :D :D A big well done to all that finished 8) :D
Mud, Sweat and Fear

91-MK2

andypugh
Visitor
Visitor
Reactions:

Post by andypugh » 25 Mar 2008, 16:07

Gwyn wrote:Provisional results are out................
http://www.ukoffroad.info/redkite2008/proresults.htm
:o To say i'm happy is an understatement :D :D A big well done to all that finished 8) :D
Aye, I just saw that. Good show there.
I, on the other hand, am slightly disapppointed. I was rather hoping for mid-field obscurity, rather than bottom-of-field obscurity.
Ah well, considering that this time last year I had never ridden a bike off road, I suppose it's not too shabby.